Thursday, July 21, 2011

In My Ears.

Now I believe that everyone is entitled to their own musical opinion but how could you really love some crap that in on the radio. I'll be frank and express that I even tune in to some music on the radio because I hear it so much, you might as well listen to see the hype. But don't believe the hype. Not to rant on like the average parent. Whatever happened to some REAL, good music that everyone could appreciate. That is where preference comes in. For example, all BS aside, R&B is my first love. I love R&B, soul, neo-soul , jazz. etc. It is straight up feel good music. I even did my 4th grade history project on Billy Holiday. The soothing sounds of a piano and bass got the blood tinging in my veins. As I grew up in a musical family into many genres and listened to R&B , it influenced me to gain a love for hip hop. Not rapping about money, women, and drugs, etc. REAL hip hop. Philosophy. I remember one of the first times , I got a taste of real hip hop. I was just chilling with my dad. We always listened to Sugar Hill Gang, Whodini, Run DMC, The Furious 5Kurtis Blow, Public Enemy, Eric B/Rakim.etc.And my mom would jam Dr. Dre back in the day/  But that one time, my pops broke out an Krs-One CD. Mannnnnnn!I was blown away..I never heard such intelligience, rawness, and just amazing rap in my life. Just that classic hook to "South Bronx, South South Bronx" got me hype. It was original, fresh, dope, not about ole girl around the way.It was poetry. "Many people tell me this style is terrific. It is kinda different but let's get specific"  I felt like in Castle Hill or Tremont myself making my own Boogie Down Production. But on the real, it is just unbelieveable and a rush when you get that first taste real hip hop. With that, I moved on to Biggie, Tupac, Mos Def, Nas, The Fugees, Common, Little Brother, Talib Kweli, Etc. Not Lil tunechi and Khalifa. Not the sellouts used to have an inch of originality. Rap about some sense and substance..not the drug. Now every good rapper is going to rap about daisies and Persians like Nas but you will get a pinch of the growth, happiness, struggle, and authencity of who they are as a person and their purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment